Sunday, June 7, 2009

What is "Fair Trade"?


Let me preface this post by saying that I am not an environmentalist, although I've been known to hug a few trees...What I am is a naturalist with a general focus on humanitarianism...(long word). In short, I love nature and on most days I love people. I also love designing jewelry. What does all that have to do with "Fair Trade"? For me, striving to combine my love for nature, people and jewelry led me to question how I could ensure that my endeavors would make a difference.

Fair trade is a system of exchange that seeks to create greater equity and partnership in international trading system by paying fair wages in local context, supporting participatory workplaces, ensuring environmental sustainability, supplying financial and technical support, offering public accountability, respecting cultural identity, building direct and long-term relationships, and educating consumers.

By approaching development as a whole process (rather than just a fair price), fair trade organizations cultivate partnerships with their suppliers and contribute to the development of communities. Fair trade is not about charity; it uses a fairer system of exchange to empower producers and to create sustainable, positive change, http://www.fairtradefederation.org.

I believe that by seeking out vendors who adhere to Fair Trade standards, purchasing Fair Trade and ethically sourced materials, and contributing to organizations who spearhead and support these efforts I am able to create and share my passion with a clear conscience.

be well, be positive, be present...

Jaszy

No comments:

Post a Comment